Mindless Blabber

Sunday, February 02, 2003

God's Love vs Man's Love

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails." -1 Corinth. 13:4-8a

I'm sure most of you have been in relationships before and can see where I'm coming from. We have this hunger, this longing, for man's love. Why man's love?? Because we believe it can satisfy our needs, our desires, and selfishness. Because it's of the present, within grasp, and gives us temporary joy that may or may not lead to a lifetime of happiness. What do we look for in relationships? We look for someone to care for us, someone to laugh at our jokes, someone to cuddle up to, someone to share all our accomplishments, daily stories, and trials with, someone who can understand us, and someone who would appreciate us for who we are, someone to be that one true love.

And if you've been through relationships, reality tells us... there is no such thing as true love. Even if you think there is, it does not guarantee forever. Don't get me wrong here, I'm sure there are many couples who love each other deeply and respectfully. But the chances of that happening is close to slim. Just look at the divorce rate--- 50%. Doesn't happen too often to christians? wrong. Perhaps it doesn't happen too much to christians who are truly 100% grounded in faith. But for most of us average joes... with average faiths and average wisdom... our relationships are not grounded in God, we are, rather, grounded to ourselves. We do whatever that would make us happy, we don't even think for another second about making God happy, because it is our own relationship, and our own sinful pleasure we indulge in. How can you call this true love, if we only love ourselves?

Why do we long for man's love if it's nowhere near sufficient?? Why do we long for man's love if it doesn't guarantee forever? Do you think marriage would guarantee forever? Yes, it's a commitment between two people, but they can just as easily break that commitment and opt for divorce. The only thing you can do is HOPE for it to last, and hope that your "love" wouldn't break your heart. Relationships come and go, either you hurt, or you get hurt; either way someone always get hurt. It just doesn't guarantee forever. There is no backing for man's love.

With that said, you know what this is all leading to... God's love, the only love you can count on, the only love that can last perpetually.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately... We may never or can never be able to fathom the depth of His love. Why is this? As I have noted before...because we are selfish beings, and because we want what is now, what is seen, what is within grasp, and what can bring us temporary joy. We want this "joy" so much that we believe it can last forever, or vice versa, we don't really care what happens in the future, we just want the joy now. Time and time again, we betray Him, neglect Him, ignore Him, and most of all, we hurt Him. We hurt him because we don't understand His character, nor do we really try to. We do not appreciate the little things He's provided for us, but rather, curse Him with all the big things He has not yet provided for us. We neglect to see the tears in His eyes, and the hurt in His heart, everytime we sin. He wants so much for us to notice Him, to appreciate Him, to talk to Him daily, and to do everything for Him just because we want to, and because of the overflowing love we have for Him. And you know what? Unlike man's love, He will ALWAYS love you, no matter what you do, and no matter how much you continue to hurt Him, His love is everlasting.

In most relationships, we bounce the second that "happiness" leaves us, we jet the second we find out that "mutual" fondness no longer exists. We feel cheated, and short changed for putting in 100% while the other person only puts in enough effort for 50. And for what?? What is the point?? Why bother if you'd end up with less than you started with. Why put yourself through all that misery when you were never promised forever? The quote, "it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all...," doesn't make sense to me... Why put in all that effort to get nothing? Why leave a scar on your heart that didn't have to be there in the first place? Why put yourself through disappointment and heartache? Why put yourself through tears at night, or pangs of anger because you just can't forget the "good" times you've had and the "good" times you've yet to have? Why put your trust in man's love if it's all so worthless?

I have a million thoughts going through my mind... and you might be thinking... she's just bitter. Yes I am bitter. But I thank God for the reality check. There is no such thing as true love, and I should probably stay away from those korean soap operas that made me so hopeful... I probably will walk out of this a different person, a bitter old lady who will never trust men again. Going out this past weekend had made me realize and reconfirms the fact that, as if you dont know this about me already, all men are bastards--- okay, 99% of them are. They go to parties/clubs or whatnot to pick up chicks. They like you because you look "cute." They don't and can't see past that outer physical attraction, they are in it for one thing. I stood there dumbfounded, like a piece of meat. If I didn't look "cute" then who the hell would find me interesting, who would want to approach me?? No one. They don't see what I have to offer, they don't know how I am, they don't even know me. Someone once told me that I have no personality, I don't have any passions, and I live life aimlessly. Who am I? I'm glad God has blessed me with avg looks, but other than that, I really have no personality to back up my looks. I am just a wandering piece of nothingness. Piece of scum that still lives because I know God still loves me. He loves this piece of shit, even though I am so undeserving of His love. The only thing that's giving me a reason to exist is God. Without Him, I have nothing to live for, nothing to look forward to. Reality is just a rat race. You try to outrun each other for one goal, to achieve recognition from others. But what does that get you in the end? Nothing. They can't offer you jack. Only God can, He can offer you eternal life with Him, as HIS HEIRS. Yes, I don't deserve it, but He still loves me, and would do anything in His powers to win my love. God's love is the only love you can rely on, depend on, and always always trust on. His love NEVER fades, never fails, and He is always waiting for you. If that's not enough for you... I don't know what is....

"Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." -Jude 1:21

Last thoughts: You are who loves you, NOT who you love. You are what loves you, NOT what you love. (I don't know if that made grammatical sense... but you know what I mean...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home